Transport Action Ontario’s (TAO) annual general meeting, held April 23, 2022, included a portion open to the public. This featured a guest presentation by Elizabeth May M.P., former leader of the Green Party of Canada. This was followed by a brief report by Peter Miasek, President, summarizing the organization’s advocacy efforts over the past year.
Ms. May discussed the importance of ground transportation (intercity rail and bus) to Canada, her Private Members Bill C-236 (“VIA Rail Canada Act”), VIA’s High Frequency Rail proposal and her efforts t for, a multi-party rail caucus in Parliament.
Mr. Miasek’s presentation summarized advocacy activities in the following areas:
- Northern and Eastern Ontario Rail
- Southwestern Ontario Passenger Rail and Intercommunity Bus
- Greater Golden Horseshoe Public Transportation
- Highway 413
- Eastern Ontario Transit and Rail
- High Frequency Rail
- Other Federal Interfaces including VIA Rail
A copy of the presentation can be viewed below.