Transport Action Ontario recently presented a summary update of GTHA public transit improvements and challenges to a Toronto-based seniors group. It presents a useful snapshot of the current status of this vital public service, including:
- Massive anticipated population increase drives need for more transit
- Over $100 Billion of rapid transit capital investment since 2010, but more needed
- Smaller projects underway to improve transit, including priority bus features, fare integration and on-request transit
- Long-awaited improvements to VIA Rail coming
- Challenges include operational funding, reliability and escalating cost of construction
- Summary of pending public advocacy areas
The update can be viewed below.