Transport Action Ontario
Latest News ,
As readers know, the 2019 Provincial Budget re-introduced a 3-stop subway extension project for Scarborough. Transport Action Ontario has long expressed concerns about the SE, and felt that other alternatives, such as Smart Spur, need to be studied. See our most recent post of April 7, 2019.
In February, Metrolinx published a Preliminary Design Business Case for the SSE. Remarkably, the business-as-usual case considered for comparison was a surface bus network that has never been proposed by anyone!
Transport Action Ontario has written the Auditor General of Ontario expressing our concerns that no proper Initial Business Case has ever been undertaken for this project. This would involve a proper apples-to-apples comparison of 5 alternatives:
- Upgrading the existing Scarborough Rapid Transit with new vehicles
- 7-stop LRT, as proposed in 2007
- Smart Spur in conjunction with GO Expansion, as proposed in 2015
- One-stop underground subway, as proposed in 2016
- Three stop underground subway, as proposed now
Our letter to the Auditor General is attached. We look forward to a response.